There must be a publisher-approved name for this genre, but I'm calling them "bridge books" because they bridge the gap between reading picture books and reading chapter books aloud to your children. The "bridge books" I've listed below are heavily illustrated, have short chapters and fast-moving plots, and are (in my opinion) a delight! I'd suggest trying these for ages 4-8.
Try these if...
- Your child is ready to listen to something longer than a picture book, but isn't as keen on picture-less chapter books.
- You need something fun and engaging to break up longer or more challenging books for a reluctant reader.
- Sydney & Taylor series (3 books) by Jacqueline Davies
- Mercy Watson series (6 books) by Kate DiCamillo
- The Blue Hill Meadows by Cynthia Rylant
- The Lighthouse Family series (8 books) by Cynthia Rylant
- Thimbleberry Stories by Cynthia Rylant
- A Long Road on a Short Day by Gary D. Schmidt & Elizabeth Stickney